A Clean Start to a New YearLIVE better
Detox is a term we hear a lot. It is so difficult to know where to begin and what we are supposed to do with all the information that is out there. Our bodies have a natural elimination process that is always working hard. Sometimes when we are stressed, over worked, and not getting enough sleep we begin to feel sluggish, notice skin irritations, slow digestion, bloating and mood swings and irritability. This is our bodies way of telling us it needs a break. We can do this by encorporating some simple detoxing steps into our daily routine.
Over Christmas most people indulge more than they would normally, we tend to get less sleep and less exercise. Taking time to detox in January can help re-set our bodies for the year ahead. Detoxification is about resting, cleansing and nourishing the body from the inside, out. Here are some simple detox tips;
1. Hydration – We should all be drinking a minimum of 2 litres of fluids per day. Add fresh lemon or lime wedges to drinking water for flavour and to help raise the PH balance of the body. Drinking herbal teas that are naturally caffeine free is also a great way to stay hydrated during the day.
2. Sleep – The deepest cleansing cycle occurs while we are sleeping so it’s really important to be getting 6-8 hours of restful sleep every night. If you have trouble falling asleep avoid eating for two hours before going to bed, avoid using your phone, laptop or watching tv before or in bed and try some simple breathing exercises.
3. Lemon water – Start the day with warm water with fresh lemon and a pinch of cayenne pepper. This will help to flush out toxins built up overnight, kickstart the digestive system and get the blood flowing.
4. Go green – Adding green vegetables to the diet is one of the quickest ways to help alkalise the body. Try adding green vegetable juices to your daily diet and bulking up your meals with fresh greens.
5. Sweat – Our body needs to sweat to get rid of toxins. Find an activity you enjoy like yoga, or any cardiovascular exercise to make you sweat. If you have access to a steam room this is also really great for opening the pores and getting rid of toxins.
If learning about detoxing is something you are interested in Maria of Life Cleanse runs regular workshops and retreats. Learn loads of tips on ways you can cleanse your body from the inside out and feel like your body is functioning at it’s optimal level.